Old 13-08-2006, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Paying someone to help in the garden?

Janet Baraclough typed

The message . com
from contains these words:

Hi Everyone

I have quite a large garden. I'm away from home quite a lot and I keep
losing control of it. It tends to get overgrown and all sorts of
routine jobs get ignored.

I'm thinking about hiring someone to come in once or twice a month to
help me keep on top of it (...) In the main I'm talking about routine
jobs like cutting
hedges and grass, weeding beds, strimming etc.

Visits once or twice a month is not often enough for anyone to "keep on
top of " lawnmowing and weeding IME.You will also probably find that
local competent reliable gardeners won't be keen to take on a "once a
month blitz" job, because by the second half of the month it's
unkempt, and a really bad advert for their business.

Someone working 2 hours every week, could keep a garden looking neater
than if they spent 8 hours in it one day a month, or 4 hours twice a
month.

Janet.

Mine looks fairly neat on fortnightly visits.

Actually, we went four weeks between the last two visits (cos we'd been
away) and it didn't look bad at all; the lack of rain stopped most grass
growth.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.