Old 13-08-2006, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pammyT pammyT is offline

Default Hedgehog repellent?

Evan wrote:

We should have always left her outside,

So what would be the point in getting her at all? You imply that it
was your wife who decided, because your oldest son wanted a
toy...er..dog. Could you not have said no and given the reasons why
not?

To her credit, she doesn't do anything bad to seek attention. The lawn
digging is strictly her trying to rouse the hedgehogs. I've seen it.
She encircles the things pawing at them. Of course she doesn't have
opposable thumbs, so she only manages to mess the grass up while trying
to "pick up" the hedgehogs.

and if she gets a spine in her mouth it will set up a massive
infection. If it breaks off, it will form an abcess, the pain of which
might make her snap at your children.

The dog loves the kids. She's always gentle with them. My two year old
loves hugging and petting the dog (and dumping spades of sand on her
back, and sitting on her when she's lying down, and pulling her tail,
etc...)

but what about the dog hair......
Shame on your for allowing your children to pull her tail. What next? A
finger in the eye, a pencil shoved down her ear? How will she react
then?

We do our best, but I know it's not good enough. Very unfair on the
dog.

So do the right thing by her. If you could let me know the area you are
in, I can point you towards some reputable rescue kennels in your area
as I have close linmks with many of them up and down the country after
being involved directly for decades.
..