Old 14-08-2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Cleavers

"ned" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"ned" wrote in message

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

I've been away for a week but I'm interested in what 'domestic

odours' you
think would need masking and in which days?

Mary

This is the stuff of myth and legend - bit before even my time.
I am given to understand that - in days of yore, before Fairy Snow,
Laundromats and body deodorants, when the hay filled mattresses of the
time became a bit, er, 'rank', ladies were given to adding Galium
aparine to the mattress to 'freshen' the bedding, hence 'Ladies
bedstraw'.

I can't see why mattresses should become any more 'rank' than they do now.

And in any case, iin my experience, man smell more than women.

I doubt that your absence of a week would justify you having to test
the theory.

Well, I was excusing myself for joining the subject late but in fact we've
been in wet Wales in our tiny 1960s caravan with original foam
cushions/mattress. Because we both sweat a lot and ventilation under the bed
is less than perfect the bedding does become less pleasant than I like.

I bring home all the loose bedding after every trip for laundering. This
time I've also brought home the measurements of the cushions/mattress too
and shall buy some new foam and cover them. Spouse is going to make a
ventilated support in the hope that I shan't need to air the c/m every
morning and that they stay fresh. I doubt that lady's bedstraw would help -
it would go as mouldy as would any vegetable matter under those conditions.

Mary

:-))

--
ned