Old 14-08-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Cleavers

"MadCow" wrote in message

Mattresses were filled with straw (not hay, which would turn to compost
very quickly)

That's true - unless they were filled with feathers.

... until after World War 2.

?

Flock for cheapness and feathers for those who could afford it were the norm
in my experience - I was born before then. Spring interior mattresses were
available before the war.

Witnesses say they were rather scratchy.

I've slept in reconstructed dark age houses on straw, they weren't scratchy
(when you're really tired after a Dark Age day's work you sleep!) but they
are hard.

Maybe lady's bedstraw was more comfortable, maybe the peasants made it up.

Is there a record of what peasants said?

Is there a volunteer willing to dry a cubic yard of G. verum and test it
for comfort?

I'll test it but have no idea what it is or where to get it so can't offer
to dry it. If anyone's prepared to supply it I'll do the rest, even the
drying.

Mary

--
Sue ]