Old 14-08-2006, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Evan Evan is offline

Default Hedgehog repellent?

My goal to do right by my young'uns, dog, and visiting hedgehogs has
appeared to have painted me as a horrible, horrible man who will go
promptly to hell when I die. I do however thank those who lent some
actual advice.

I will respond to this less-than-helpful posting because it still
amuses me to do so and because I'm as guilty as everyone else is in
letting a usenet discussion rile me up. I've counted to 10 and edited
my response as responsibly as I can. I would imagine that after today,
I'll let this thread and it's smartass replies die their death.

pammyT wrote:

So what would be the point in getting her at all? You imply that it
was your wife who decided, because your oldest son wanted a
toy...er..dog. Could you not have said no and given the reasons why
not?

Married much? Family dynamic was different three years ago than it is
today. Human obligations, including babies have taken precedent. I
think you'll find children often come before pets in the real world.

and if she gets a spine in her mouth it will set up a massive
infection. If it breaks off, it will form an abcess, the pain of which
might make her snap at your children.

It might. Do you get the idea that I might not wany hedgehogs in my
yard? Perhaps by the original subject of this thread?

Shame on your for allowing your children to pull her tail. What next? A
finger in the eye, a pencil shoved down her ear? How will she react
then?

You're either an overly passionate animal lover with a one-track mind
or not the sharpest tack in the diplomacy box. My two year old is
disciplined in a way he understands if he aggravates the dog, which is
only very rarely. I doubt that the scum who abuse (or raise kids who
abuse) animals would be asking for constructive advice on Usenet. For
that matter, could they even put together a coherent sentence?

So do the right thing by her. If you could let me know the area you are
in, I can point you towards some reputable rescue kennels in your area
as I have close linmks with many of them up and down the country after
being involved directly for decades.

I might have taken you up on your offer had you not shown yourself to
be a condescending, arrogant weiner. I'm sort this out without your
advice, thank you.