Old 14-08-2006, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] delcolja@mail.ab.edu is offline

Default Cleaning Vanda Baskets

cvandyke wrote:
I want to remove the black deposits on the wood baskets in which my Vanda
orchids are growing. Mostly for aesthetics, but I don't want to tear the
plants apart and put them in new baskets. Someone from the AOS mentioned a
product called "xeratrol" or something like that (not sure of the spelling
-could be something related to a peroxide). Does anyone know what this
chemical is and where to get it - or another solution to the problem?

The black deposits are mold. Anything that would kill it would
probably harm the plants.
If you want to clean the baskets, you should remove the plants and make
sure you rinse the baskets very thoroughly before replanting.

I've quit using wooden baskets for Vandas and species like Stanhopeas.

J. Del Col