Old 14-08-2006, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] dazzhiggins@hotmail.com is offline

Default Colcichine and diploid/tetraploid

Careful with that axe Eugene wrote:
The item on Colcichine and diploid/tetraploid
was fascinating.

Could anyone tell me how much Colcihine would
be needed? This comes as 500 microgrammes as a Gout
treatment tablet. Would say 4 of these disolved in
water and used to germinate seeds do the job?

Would I be likely to end up with a man eating Triffid
or a triangular Tomato plant?

Also would any changes to the plant be passed on
to its seeds?

Thanks

Dave Poole seems to know about this so if he replies, then ignore what
I say here but here is my guess:

it will be hit and miss. The plant may already be a polyploid; each
plant that survives (some will be a mess and will not grow properly)
may be a mixture of diploid and polyploid bits; if the germ cells are
polyploid, you can get polyploid seeds but these may be messed up and
may not be fertile; I think, breeders have used colchicine to give
super plants and urban legend says it has been done with Cannabis
sativa but my guess is that you would need to grow a pile of them and
select the ones that work best and dump the majority as failures. With
C.sativa, I think there is no point as the strains that are out there
and which you can apparently get seeds for very easily are already,
apparently, fast growing and strong to the point of being downright
dangerous. With tomatoes, I am very happy with my Sungolds and my
Ailsa Craigs this year :-).