Old 15-08-2006, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Help, hornworms!!!!!!!!

"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

They are definitely NOT hard to spot. They're the size of an adult's thumb
sometimes! The first time I saw one, I was working in the garden and (before
playing in a band wrecked my ears), I heard something chewing. I followed
the sound and found this monster. Pretty impressive, though. Like a garden
pest created by Disney. :-)

The easiest indicator for me (besides tomatoes eaten to the nub!) are
the large black feces they leave behind. If you're lucky, the little
parasitic wasps will find them and infect them - you'll know by the
little white cocoons hanging off of the hornworm. If you find them
like that, don't kill them! Let the wasp larvae do their business.
You'll never have to worry about hornworms again )
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts