Old 14-08-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd Kenni Judd is offline

Default Cleaning Vanda Baskets

Pat told you right about what Xerotol is -- and what it costs.

You can also buy stronger than 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, if you are wlling to
buy a quantity. Much cheaper, also much more dangerous.

If you use a fungicide regularly, you probably won't get those black
deposits. For the remedial phase, if you don't want to remove the plants,
then I think you should be looking at household peroxide or one of the
milder fungicides -- not as a spray, but applied with a toothbrush and
elbow-grease [and gloves] :(

Kenni

"cvandyke" wrote in message
]...
I want to remove the black deposits on the wood baskets in which my Vanda
orchids are growing. Mostly for aesthetics, but I don't want to tear the
plants apart and put them in new baskets. Someone from the AOS mentioned a
product called "xeratrol" or something like that (not sure of the
spelling -could be something related to a peroxide). Does anyone know what
this chemical is and where to get it - or another solution to the problem?

Thanks

Charles VanDyke