Old 15-08-2006, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Tomato Rotoation Time Frame

"William L. Rose" wrote:

-snip-
On the other hand, being bestowed with a profound ignorance of growing
tomatoes, I have grown tomatoes in the same spot in amended clay soil,
for eight years and I can't discern any difference in vigor, or fruit.
- Bill

And though I would prefer to rotate to lower risk of diseases, I have
very limited space that gets enough sun. So my amended sandy soil
has had tomatoes in roughly the same spot for 20 yrs.

I plant only disease resistant plants & haven't had any wilt, fungus,
or critter problems. [this year I stole some lawn far from the
'garden' to plant some Brandywines-- If I like them I'll probably
keep planting them there until trouble shows up-- then I'll find
another 8x8 spot.

We're blessed with hard winters here & that might mitigate some things
somewhat. Or maybe I'm just lucky.

Jim