Old 15-08-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Suggestions for preserving tomatoes

sherwindu wrote:

I have a load of Heritage Tomatoes this year, so I'm looking for some ideas on
how
to preserve them.

I like to put up a couple dozen quarts of salsa. This time of
year I use any leftover salsa up by adding a quart to a pound of
hamburg, 1/4 cup taco seasoning, a cup of pasta and a cup of water.
Sprinkle with grated cheddar- serve with sour cream.

I also can chili sauce. [anyone know why it is called chili sauce?
There are no chilies in it and I have never seen a chili recipe that
called for it?]
This is my recipe-
Chili Sauce
1 peck tomatoes [10 quarts- or about 17 pounds]
2 1/2 c chopped onions
6 inches stick cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
4 1/2 c brown sugar
4 c chopped celery
2 1/2 c chopped green pepper
1 T dry mustard
1 qt cider vinegar
1/4 cup salt

Peel and cut tomatoes in chunks into a large kettle.
Cook 15 minutes; *then drain off half of the juice.*
Add celery, onion and green pepper. Simmer 1 1/2 hours.
Add remaining ingredients. Continue cooking 1 1/2 hours. Remove
cinnamon. Fill pint jars; process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

I also dry a bunch. If you're in Phoenix you might be able to sun
dry them. In my part of the world we get too much humidity and too
little sun to make that feasible. I use an electric dryer. [paid
$10 at a garage sale for one-- got another for $2 last weekend] The
dryer is in the garage so it doesn't heat up the house.

Dried tomatoes are good as an addition to any tomato dish. I use
them to 'thicken' my canned salsa after opening the jar. Everyone
eats them like candy if I leave them out.

Once dried I keep them in the freezer. I'm guessing, but I think a
couple bushels dry down to a gallon or so.

Jim