Old 15-08-2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Suggestions for preserving tomatoes

sherwindu wrote:
I have a load of Heritage Tomatoes this year, so I'm looking for some ideas on
how
to preserve them.

Sherwin D.

The easiest way is to have a lot of paste tomato plants, which are
ideal for canning. Every year I reduce the number of slicing tomato
plants and increase the San Marzanos (now they are 50%, or 9 of 18).
And I don't even can. When making salsa, or bruschetta, or for a quick
pasta with blended tomato, garlic, and basil sauce, they are the
tomatoes to use. Same for midsummer mixed vegetable soups, when you get
only a handful of okra, one zucchini, a handful of string beans, etc.
The base has to be paste tomato because slicing tomatoes make a pale,
less flavorful broth.