Old 15-08-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate kate is offline

Default sumac

Ron Hardin wrote:

Elaine wrote:

Hey that's the best kind...FREE! Go dig some up.
In the spring I always carry a shovel with me. If is it not protected and is
a native plant to your area that is. Also doesn't have a no-trespassing sign
around or happens to be a wildflower project!

I bet you can't transplant sumac easily, as it spreads mostly by spreading
runners, so is living off some other nearby plant system rather than by
its own roots.

Here in TN they transplant easily. My first year here, before I realized
just how prolific they were, I transplanted one that was in the way.
It's doing fine, 15 years later.

Kate, who's also watered ragweed not knowing what it was...