Old 16-08-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Is it too late for Forsythia cuttings?

"simy1" wrote in
oups.com:

FragileWarrior wrote:
The ones I took in the spring (during bloom time) never thrived and
have died. Is this the wrong time to take more? What would be the
best way to do it if it can still be done now?

Thx.

Forsythia roots readily. My forsythia was obtained by taking cuttings
in the fall, which were then buried 80% under mulch. In the spring,
about 2/3 of them push out new leaves. As cuttings go, they are the
easiest.

So you just cut them and stick them in the ground and then mulch them? How
long of a piece do you cut? Do you use rooting hormone or anything like
that?

Oh, yeah, I should mention that I'm stealing these off a tree from the
backyard of an empty house that's for sale. I figure it's a free for all
on such things when the house has been empty for over a year. slight
feelings of guilt