Old 16-08-2006, 11:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jimmy Jimmy is offline

Default What's your verdict?

"J.C." wrote in message
. ..

"Harry Chickpea" wrote in message
"J.C." wrote:

I start seeds in styrofoam cups. I do exclusively square foot gardening
and
have several boxes going. I use the 32oz cups that I buy in bulk from
Sam's
Club. I put about 1 inch of potting soil in the cup.

When it comes time to plant I just cut the bottom out of the cups and
plant
the whole things. This leaves me the proper amount of empty cup to do the
watering called for in the Square Foot Gardening book.

Well, everything that happens, wilt, browning leaves, low yield, bugs,
disease etc., happens because I PLANT THE DANG CUPS, according to my
wife.
She, and others, say this is a definate no-no. I disagree. What do you
say
and why?

Get a new wife?

I already have, 4 times but this one's a keeper, 34 years so far.

Plants here are constantly growing through the little hole in the
bottom of the black gallon pots and thriving, even when we don't want
them to.

I would not" PLANT THE DANG CUPS". Who knows what kind of chemicals come out
as it "rots"? Ever see the smoke when one burns?

Keep the wife, it's cheaper tan the alternative.