Old 16-08-2006, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
J.C.[_1_] J.C.[_1_] is offline

Default What's your verdict?

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"J.C." wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news

Use raised beds and the water is used more efficiently.

Perhaps you missed my original post. I do use raised beds.

My bad. ;-)
The point got side-tracked.

The purpose for
the cups is to regulate the amount of water as per the specifications in
the
book "Square Foot Gardening". My only question is, is there any reason
why I
should NOT plant the entire cup when moving from the greenhouse to the
garden, instead of taking the plant out of the cup and planting it?

Not that I can see... Styrofoam is inert.
As far as I know, it's not going to be biodegrading and putting toxins
into the soil. I could be wrong. ;-) You may want to google it.

My concern would be size. Are not the plants going to outgrow the cup?
How is too small of a cup going to regulate water usage?

1 gallon plastic pots might work better maybe?

The cups have the bottoms cut out of them when planted out in the garden so
the roots grow down into the box and outgrowing the cup is no problem. You
use 32 ounce cups and only put about 2 inches of potting soil in them to
start the seeds in. This leaves enough "empty" cup to pour water into when
out in the garden. The SFG book calls for watering the plants individually
with "cups" of water, i.e. one cup a week for X, 1 cup a day for Y, and so
on. Supposedly this regulates the water to preclude under watering or over
watering, which I tend to do.

--
J.C.