Old 15-08-2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al[_1_] Al[_1_] is offline

Default Cleaning Vanda Baskets

A former employer at a wholesale nursery plant production facility runs it
through his drip/irrigation lines. He alternates it with fertilizer. These
lines feed directly into pots of soil containing the likes of poinsettia
cuttings or pansy plugs, etc depending on the season... It was the darkest,
dampest, coldest greenhouse I have ever been in but nothing ever rotted and
everything always seemed to be ready on schedule; full trays of blooming
pansies six or eight weeks after plugging.

I wonder if this approach would work works with pots of damp sphagnum in the
winter when oil is too expensive to use to heat higher than 55 degrees.

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Zerotol is a broad-spectrum algaecide/fungicide that is labeled for plant
use (as compared to being labeled for use on hard surfaces). It has a
zero hour REI and requires no respirator. It is available from most of
the grower supply companies.