Old 17-08-2006, 04:30 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny Jonny is offline

Default Food refuse

When I was growing up, my parents put food refuse in milk carton. Let if
ferment for awhile, them mixed it in the soil or just dumped it in the
garden. They dumped it when the fungus started growing on top.

I tried that, but the hungry ants got the topside stuff right away, and
somehow got to anything buried a few inches in the earth.

Know this may sound "gross", but I went a bit further with the ferment
process. I used an airtight container. After 2 weeks, a white fungus
starts growing on the top. That's when I stopped putting in more food.
Left it sealed. 6 weeks later, a greenish/yellow very watery broth was the
only thing left. It stank like a septic tank. The ants won't eat it, and
doesn't seem to bother the tomatoes and jalapenos so far. Don't put any
food refuse with seeds, nor bones in the pot. Animal fat/grease, and
vegetable oil is no problem. All else is consumed, if you will. If you
have problems with insects toting off your food refuse, you might try this.
The smell will permeate most plastic containers. Stick with glass or metal,
airtight of course. Can't vouch for positive results, just no negatives so
far. Let you know next spring. I'll be growing more juice in the meantime
and giving it to the soil on one side. The other side, I'll leave as is.

--
Jonny