Old 15-08-2006, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Brugmansia flowers

"K" wrote in message
I have two brugmansia which I grew from seed. One is heavily scented, a
butter-yellow variety of one which is, I think, normally white, and has
flowered happily for the last four years.

The other is a different species, about 3 years old and 5 ft high, and has
never flowered. I feed it regularly with tomato fertiliser. I had a
feeling that maybe it needed a certain amount of heat to persuade it to
flower, so this year I've left it in the greenhouse, but still nothing
(the other has been flowering since June on a S facing terrace).

So - any ideas to encourage flowers?
--
Kay

Sumat in the air round our area:-)
A one year old plant has flowered and done its stuff. A two year old plant,
identical sort, has made loads of growth but has no sign of any pods yet.
I have noticed that Brugmansia for sale in the local garden centres always
seem to be in remarkably small pots, so perhaps they need a starvation
regime. If mine does not flower I shall butcher it to half size and see if
it responds with flowers next year.
There will be an Urgler somewhere who can offer better help.