Old 15-08-2006, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default storing or preserving chilli's

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have grown several chilli's plants 'Bolivian Rainbow chilli's' which
have produced hundreds of small chilli's which are just starting to
ripen.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to store or preserve these
chilli's ?

I have tried 2 methods so far:
1) drying - I simply picked them and allowed them to dry of their own
accord, inside paper bags, although I've noticed on the continent they hang
them on washing lines in the sun...the main drawback with this is that they
lose the 'flavour' - yes they are still hot but they are similar to any
chilli powder you can buy in the supermarket.

2) pickling - they keep none of their flavour and after a month or so, none
of their heat, they taste similar to everything else that's ever been
pickled - vinegary.

This year I'm freezing them in batches, some whole, some sliced, the only
drawback (I'm assuming) is that like tomatoes, they 'mush' a bit and are
only suitable for cooking, not really a problem for me as I rarely eat them
any other way...maybe one or two in a salad occasionally but salads don't
get much of a look in during winters around here!