Old 16-08-2006, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Brugmansia flowers

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
I have two brugmansia which I grew from seed. One is heavily scented, a
butter-yellow variety of one which is, I think, normally white, and has
flowered happily for the last four years.

The other is a different species, about 3 years old and 5 ft high, and

has
never flowered. I feed it regularly with tomato fertiliser. I had a
feeling that maybe it needed a certain amount of heat to persuade it to
flower, so this year I've left it in the greenhouse, but still nothing
(the other has been flowering since June on a S facing terrace).

So - any ideas to encourage flowers?
--
Kay

Sumat in the air round our area:-)
A one year old plant has flowered and done its stuff. A two year old

plant,
identical sort, has made loads of growth but has no sign of any pods yet.
I have noticed that Brugmansia for sale in the local garden centres
always
seem to be in remarkably small pots, so perhaps they need a starvation
regime. If mine does not flower I shall butcher it to half size and see
if
it responds with flowers next year.
There will be an Urgler somewhere who can offer better help.

The cuttings will often flower when in tiny pots and very small, but
established plants even if in a big pot once they get their roots to the
edge no amount of feeding will make them happy (say about 3 years in same
pot) so its either start again with a smaller plant or go up a couple of
pot
sizes. Alternatively you could put it out in the ground after whipping off
few cuttings for next year.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Thanks for that info Charlie. I will put it in the ground and hope it gets
through the winter along with all the other tender gear.
Cuttings for next year (as an insurance)