Old 16-08-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Rats

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm sure you'll get far more competent advice from the resident
experts, but it strikes me as odd that to get rid of rats you're trying
to get rid of vegetation??? Rats are pretty adaptable creatures, I am
not sure *any* vegetation either particularly favours or particularly
disadvantages them.
I read somewhere that we're never more than a few feet away from a rat
- so even if you were to kill all inhabitants of the nearby nest, on a
river bank, chances are a few would come over for the wake and the
funeral...
OK - so this is not what you want to hear... but I'm not sure drenching
the place in roundup then planting ragwort (??!!) will rid you of the
critters.
FWIW - I had rats in my compost heap some time back, and found that
regularly turning it prevented them from settling. Basically, they
don't like being disturbed. Now, I have none. Maybe creating
disturbance by ploughing up around the nest and trampling around it
every so often might persuade them to go look for quieter lodgings, and
discourage potential new squatters? Just a thought.

Wise words - that is, I was going to say exactly the same things :-)

Mary

Cat(h)