Old 16-08-2006, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Col[_1_] Col[_1_] is offline

Default Best use for compost?

"David (in Normandy)" wrote in
message ...
Does the compost get warm?
Col

I have four of those large plastic compost bins and they get red hot -
certainly too hot to hold your hand on when the sun is out and when they
are up to full heat. I even break the rules and put in things like
dandelion and dock roots and they compost too no problem. The only
occasional survivors are tomato seeds. The secret seems to be to add and
mix lots of lawn clippings with weeds, household peelings and existing
mature compost then add lots of diluted compost accelerator. I don't waste
money buying an off the shelf compost accelerator, but prefer a liquid one
that is freely available in every household and costs nothing ;-) though
perhaps collecting the stuff and putting it onto compost may not be for
the squeamish. And no

How large is large?
I think I have a reasonably healthy mix of grass, weeds, soft prunings
and vegetable household waste. But to make it work I need to add
layers of newspaper at intervals. Before I tried this I only got a nasty
soggy twiggy mess. Bought compost acellerators didn't work.
The urine idea is interesting, I think I can handle the collection process

Col