Old 16-08-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
©¿©[_1_] ©¿©[_1_] is offline

Default Rats

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:24:44 +0100, "p. pleater"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/8/06 15:08, in article , "Uncle
Marvo"
wrote:

Hi everyone

I've sneaked over from uk.rec.waterways, someone there suggested I
ask this
one here.

I live on a boat, and I have discovered a rats nest nearby.

My plan is to use one of those systemic weedkillers which will kill
all the
vegetation near the boat, mainly stinging nettles and such, and
neutralises
when it hits the ground, and next spring plant something else which
rats
either despise or which will kill them when they eat it. Hopefully
something
which will stop the repeated growth of nettles, grass etc. I don't
mind what
it is, as long as it has the desired effect!

Any suggestions? There are no pets or anything nearby, I was guessing
that
ragwort? might do the trick.

Apart from actual rat poison, I don't there there's anything that
kills rats
other than a shovel or a shotgun! If there were, we'd be growing it.
Nettles will, in any case, almost certainly swamp anything you plant
and
perhaps the vegetation is keeping the bank stable? If you're worried
about
the rats getting onto your boat, can I ask how you're mooring? In
certain
ports in the Med it's unwise to moor alongside because of rats on the
quays,
so most boats go stern-to and raise the passarelle at night, putting
those
rat guard things on the mooring lines. Can you do that to protect
your
boat?
I must say, too, that I think a mass killing of vegetation on which
insects
feed is not a good road to go down when, presumably, you like living
on a
boat because of the surroundings etc. that you live in! Some of the
poison
is almost certain to get into the water and may well be harmful to
fish or
other water life. If you feel you must do something to the
vegetation, I'd
be inclined just to keep it cut back.

--
Sacha

I agree with all previous answers...... makes sense.
However, depending on your personal outlook on vermin, there is an
alternative answer.
My pal is a member of our local AIR rifle club, (as opposed to a rifle
club) and he often tells me that they welcome hearing from people who
have problems with vermin. It gives hunters invaluable practice and is
mutually beneficial.....and they don't charge.

I bet they don't. What pervert would charge to pursue their pleasure?

But be aware, often they are unable to help because they have to comply
with rigid laws on where one can and cannot shoot......safety of the
public is paramount obviously.

With good reason. We don't want these weirdo's roaming free all over
the country.

Not only that, the **** with the boat not on his own land, so has no
rights to pollute the area. My advice would be for him to jump in the
lake.