Old 16-08-2006, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Rats

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I've sneaked over from uk.rec.waterways, someone there suggested I ask

this
one here.

I live on a boat, and I have discovered a rats nest nearby.

My plan is to use one of those systemic weedkillers which will kill all

the
vegetation near the boat, mainly stinging nettles and such, and

neutralises
when it hits the ground, and next spring plant something else which rats
either despise or which will kill them when they eat it. Hopefully

something
which will stop the repeated growth of nettles, grass etc. I don't mind

what
it is, as long as it has the desired effect!

Any suggestions? There are no pets or anything nearby, I was guessing that
ragwort? might do the trick.

Let's get this straight. You have discovered that rats live in your stretch
of river/canal bank, and are wondering whether it's possible to clear the
existing vegetation near your boat and replace it with something which will
kill/deter rats?

First off, you should be careful using any pesticide, including glyphosate,
near a watercourse. You might cause unintentional damage to the ecosystem.

Secondly, I don't think there's any plant you can grow on the bank which
will deter or kill rats.If you find any which do, you will probably make a
fortune!