Old 16-08-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Brugmansia flowers

Martin Brown writes

K wrote:

I've given it all the heat that is available, and the tomato feed is of
course high potash. They get the benign neglect by default.

A bit more potash and even less nitrogen maybe.

Hmm. I'm of the "you'll eat what's given to you and like it" school
where plants are concerned. No faffing around with special diets! I'll
have to consider more carefully whether this particular brugmansia gets
its pot space. Maybe give it one more year.

If you know the species then one of the experts may be able to tell you
what to do to initiate flowering in the UK. My outdoors ones are back
up to flowering size now in N Yorks.

"Back up" to flowering size? - what happened in between?

Cut down by winter frosts. They regrow from the extensive roots (either
in pots or in the ground).

Wow! I've had one die off in winter in the (heated) greenhouse.
Maybe I'm too cautious and should start pushing the boundaries a bit.
And doing something about snails.

"Outdoor" - presumably outdoor summer only? In pots, or in the ground?

No. Winter and summer and regrown again from seed when they fail to
over winter successfully (survive about 4 in 5 winters OK under a 4"
mulch of pine needles).

Their poisonous seeds make excellent rodent bait too.

Mine doesn't seed - is this because I only have the one flowering? Are
they not self-fertile?
--
Kay