Old 17-08-2006, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Barrett Rob Barrett is offline

Default bare winter garden

The cooler weather has started me thinking about winter and how dreary
the garden was last winter. Maybe it's a part of the natural order that
I should just learn to appreciate, but I'm trying to think up some ways
to add a little life.

Last year was pretty bleak with the vegetables all gone, the clematis a
tangle of dead-looking vines, the weigela completely bare, etc. The
only color anywhere was the hips on the dog rose (which we were planning
on harvesting for jam this year).

I have a little more hope for this year because I've got brussels
sprouts and purple sprouting broccoli for a little life, but I'm
wondering what else I can do.

I'm open to all suggestions, but I was terribly jealous of everyone
else's primulas when they bloomed in the late winter while I was still
waiting for my tulips and daffodils. Not having much extra room, I was
wondering if it is possible to interplant primulas with something else?
I was thinking of putting them under a 1.5-2.0m weigela (abel
carriere, I think) since it is completely bare when they would be
blooming. But since it gets completely full during the summer, I didn't
know if they would tolerate so much shade.

Thoughts? Suggestions?