Old 17-08-2006, 03:02 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny Jonny is offline

Default Food refuse

Concerning processing food refuse by direct burial vs the method I
presented: Neither agree, nor disagree. I don't have any present
information to make that assessment. So, I will pursue the truth based on
long-term observation.
I do agree that earthen type worms process food by ingesting it for better
use by microbes. They leave a wake trail of excrement in their travels.
Two species of ants seem to be primarily carnivorous in my area, eating, it
seems, primarily insects, and wildlife carcasses. The acrobat ant seems to
want my dogs food near the house on the porch. Still another species, a
very small, non-biting, orange colored version, wants to enter the house for
water at the plumbing drain trap in the kitchen. That tells me the yard is
way overdue for irrigation. Another species of ant in the garden totes off
the food refuse someplace, I can't find the antbed. Its probably nearby as
the area not immediately around the garden is very dry. Its a raised bed
garden, an oasis in the middle of native TX hill country soil. I've never
heard anyone claim ants process food refuse for better use by soil oriented
microbes before.

Am certainly not discouraging lifeforms in the soil with either method of
food refuse disposal.
--
Jonny
"Jangchub" wrote in message
You are far better off burying the food in the ground. Ants are the
earths aerators and help to break down organic matter into nutrients a
plant can use. Same thing with worms. If you bury fresh food instead
of pouring it out as an anaerobic, funky soup, most micro and macro
organisms will not be able to use it. Life in the soil is the main
thing to encourage.

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 03:30:06 GMT, "Jonny"
wrote:

When I was growing up, my parents put food refuse in milk carton. Let if
ferment for awhile, them mixed it in the soil or just dumped it in the
garden. They dumped it when the fungus started growing on top.

I tried that, but the hungry ants got the topside stuff right away, and
somehow got to anything buried a few inches in the earth.

Know this may sound "gross", but I went a bit further with the ferment
process. I used an airtight container. After 2 weeks, a white fungus
starts growing on the top. That's when I stopped putting in more food.
Left it sealed. 6 weeks later, a greenish/yellow very watery broth was
the
only thing left. It stank like a septic tank. The ants won't eat it, and
doesn't seem to bother the tomatoes and jalapenos so far. Don't put any
food refuse with seeds, nor bones in the pot. Animal fat/grease, and
vegetable oil is no problem. All else is consumed, if you will. If you
have problems with insects toting off your food refuse, you might try
this.
The smell will permeate most plastic containers. Stick with glass or
metal,
airtight of course. Can't vouch for positive results, just no negatives
so
far. Let you know next spring. I'll be growing more juice in the
meantime
and giving it to the soil on one side. The other side, I'll leave as is.