Old 17-08-2006, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Greenhouse greenfly infestation- help

Mary Fisher writes

"K" wrote in message

If you really don't want to use pesticides, you could try something which
someone recommended in urg a couple of year back for whitefly, ie a vacuum
cleaner. I've just had a go on my whitefly and have been very pleased. I
used the soft furniture brush, and simply vacuumed the underside of the
leaves. Some of the plants look a bit wind-blown, but no leaf damage that
I can see, and a huge disappearance of whitefly.

It might not work with aphids, as I think they have a firmer hold on the
plant, but it could be worth a try.

If they're flying - "the air is thick" - it would be a solution for the
airborne ones. I meant to say it but was diverted.

Would it, though? I tried it on airborne whitefly a couple of years ago
with no success at all. But I think whitefly are stronger fliers than
greenfly, so you could be right.
--
Kay