Old 17-08-2006, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Why is my geranium not flowering?

Uncle Marvo wrote:
, I, Marvo, say :

Earlier this spring, I bought two cranesbill geraniums - not sure what
kind - which was supposed to flower blue. The foliage is very
delicate, a shade of grey-green, and it has grown most wonderfully,
among purple verbena, West of Ireland Irish fuschias and self seeded
nasturtium. But it hasn't even produced one flower.
What could be the problem?

I have loads of geraniums on the boat, all in pots or troughs. They flower
better when it's hot, and the soil is very dry because it's loose in straw
so drains really well.

Recently, the wind (or chavs) took one of my large plastic pots away down
the river. My neighbour saw it whilst returning from downstream, it had
probably gone for days, and brought it back. No flowers. I put it back on
the boat and left it, it is now flowering again. AIUI geraniums are not
indigenous to GB, and they are fundamentally mediterranean plants, so love
the hotter drier weather we're having.

IMHO overwatering is usually the problem, they don't need more water than is
provided by the weather.

I don't know why, but tomorite seems to make for deeper coloured flowers on
most pelargoniums.

The geraniums I am referring to are not pelargoniums, but cranesbills -
perenial plants that survive in our climates, whether they are native
or not. Think of something looking more like herb robert on speed than
like a pelargonium. My crop of pelargoniums have fortunately escaped
wind and passers-by with ill-intent, and they are flowering beautifully
at the moment. I have one pot filled with three with single red
flowers - the red is between pillar-box and fuschia - and big round
leaves with beautiful black markings in the centre, which is a pure
delight.

Cat(h)