Old 17-08-2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default This Summer's observations...

Thanks for the explanation Gene, going to try the Bayer Advanced Shrub and Tree
systemic product.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Gene Schurg wrote:
Wendy,

Yes the sale continues (it's not nice to tempt an addict).

I use the dosamatic to inject fertilizer into the hose at the correct
ratio. If you mix the Bayer at a rate of 1 Tbs per gallon you would
have the same effect. The Bayer product is a systemic. It has to be
sucked up by the plant roots to make the leaves poison to the
critters. Some people have discussed in the past that the leaves of
orchids may take in water and fertilizer through the stoma. Spraying
the Bayer product on the leaves doesn't get it inside where the
sucking insects get their juice.

One grower I talked to says he makes a bucket of the mix and just
dips the plants to the pot rim. The key here is to get it to the
roots.

On the Enstar II....it took me several repeat applications a week
apart. As I had the mealies on the run I would isolate plants that
looked clean from the ones where I still found even one mealie. The
divide and conquer method worked for me.

I've noticed that these bugs have favorite plants. The catts seldom
have mealies but the scale really like them. Phals seem to attract
the mealies but I seldom find a scale on them. Oncids seem to
attract both as do cymbos. Even within a genera I find some Catts
attract scale more often than others.

The only genera that seems resistant to both is the Paphs.

Good Growing,
Gene

"wendy7" wrote in message
Hi there Gene,
Wondering if the sale is still on? *G*
I too have been bothered by infestations of both mealies & scale.
Have been using Mavrik along with Enstar II but still have sightings
after 2yrs. I have only sprayed so wondering if I can use the Bayer
product when I water. Don't have a Dosmatic? Is this a fert
dispenser? I have notice a reduction in flowers this year both
in the greenhouse & outside? Still trying to catch up on my
repotting but it has been so hot this summer. And so it goes.
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

SNIP~ ~ ~ ~ ~