Old 17-08-2006, 07:30 PM
PLOTTY PLOTTY is offline
Registered User

Hi Chris, I would go for the manure with straw as the straw will compost faster and will not take as much nitrogen out of your compost whilst it is breaking down, also sawdust can make your resulting compost quite acidic, hope this helps you, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.blogspot.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat(h)
Chris wrote:
Straw or sawdust - in with horse manure - which is best?
There are free supplies of either.
Which would be better for the garden or compost heap?
--
Chris

Either?
Though I wouldn't put horse manure in the compost heap - I'd rather let
it rot down well on its own, then use it on its own.
As to saw dust or straw, I have chucked both in the compost heap at
different times, and still ended up with delightful black gold in time
:-)

Cat(h)