Old 17-08-2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_1_] cloud dreamer[_1_] is offline

Default What's your verdict?

simy1 wrote:

cloud dreamer wrote:

Hm, I wonder if we are talking about two different concepts?

My "raised beds" are built out of Cinder blocks or limestone. They are
essentially giant planters. :-)
This concentrates the water usage considerably for me...

Yes, we are. By raising, you can only lose water, with respect to the
same setup, at a lower elevation. it is not only the increased surface,
but the bits of debris creating gaps, the vole/mole tunnels, and
anything that lets water out in between the cinder blocks or under
them.

I use 2x8s to raise my beds. Our soil is incredibly rocky (they call the
island the Rock for a reason), so to get some decent space to grow
things like turnip, potato and carrots, I have not choice but to raise
the beds. The surface area is not much more. There are no holes or water
escaping through the lumber. No voles or moles either.

I guess that's the whole point. Every location really lends itself to a
certain type of gardening. Loosening the soil six to eight inches down
here is a major chore...so we go up. Water retention is really a
secondary concern...especially since it rarely gets hot enough for
prolonged evaporation to be a concern (average 21 in the summer).

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Cool Rocky Far East.