Old 17-08-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] is offline

Default What's your verdict?

In article ,
"J.C." wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"J.C." wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news In article . com,
"simy1" wrote:

cloud dreamer wrote:

Hm, I wonder if we are talking about two different concepts?

My "raised beds" are built out of Cinder blocks or limestone. They
are
essentially giant planters. :-)
This concentrates the water usage considerably for me...

Yes, we are. By raising, you can only lose water, with respect to the
same setup, at a lower elevation. it is not only the increased
surface,
but the bits of debris creating gaps, the vole/mole tunnels, and
anything that lets water out in between the cinder blocks or under
them.

And I add a generous amount of peat into my raised beds. The water
retention is phenomenal.

you could do that in sunken beds as well. The difference is that you
would have to dig up soil and replace it with peat. There is nothing
in
raising the soil level that improves water retention. Water flows
downhill.

What about container gardens?

I have never been able to raise a container.

snork
Very funny...... ;-D

I was talking about big pots! lol
But you knew that.....

I've had good luck using 5 gallon pots for tomatoes with a water tray
underneath. I did very little gardening this year due to the expense of
the water. I need to re-do my greenhouse setup and move everything
inside....

The summers here are just getting to be too hot and dry!

South Central Texas.
--
Peace!
Om

What town are you close to? We're over around Eagle Lake, East Bernard area.

Between Buda and New Braunfels. :-)
--
Peace!
Om