Old 17-08-2006, 07:55 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] is offline

Default Food refuse

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:02:45 GMT, "Jonny"
wrote:

Concerning processing food refuse by direct burial vs the method I
presented: Neither agree, nor disagree. I don't have any present
information to make that assessment. So, I will pursue the truth based on
long-term observation.
I do agree that earthen type worms process food by ingesting it for better
use by microbes. They leave a wake trail of excrement in their travels.
Two species of ants seem to be primarily carnivorous in my area, eating, it
seems, primarily insects, and wildlife carcasses. The acrobat ant seems to
want my dogs food near the house on the porch. Still another species, a
very small, non-biting, orange colored version, wants to enter the house for
water at the plumbing drain trap in the kitchen. That tells me the yard is
way overdue for irrigation. Another species of ant in the garden totes off
the food refuse someplace, I can't find the antbed. Its probably nearby as
the area not immediately around the garden is very dry. Its a raised bed
garden, an oasis in the middle of native TX hill country soil. I've never
heard anyone claim ants process food refuse for better use by soil oriented
microbes before.

Am certainly not discouraging lifeforms in the soil with either method of
food refuse disposal.

Good luck. You are creating conditions for pathogens which are toxic
to soil biota as well as human biota.

Agreed... The stench is from anaerobic fermentation.
This is not good.

He really really really needs to do some googling on proper composting!
Just because his parents did it does not make it a good thing. :-)

That is something I've had to learn during the human maturation process.
Sometimes mom and dad were actually wrong. G
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson