Old 17-08-2006, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

Default Straw or sawdust - in with horse manure

Chris wrote:
Straw or sawdust - in with horse manure - which is best?
There are free supplies of either.
Which would be better for the garden or compost heap?

I'd say straw every time, Chris.
My late father-in-law used to deliver bread for the Co-op
with a horse-drawn van.
The horse was bedded on straw and he had to look
after him.
He won the best allotment three times running, and
was allowed to keep the cup, which is now a proud
possession of my son.

I will reserve my opinion of sawdust, except to say
I will never have it in my garden again. Never!
Wishing you good organic gardening,

Sam.