Old 17-08-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Nutmeg tree

Brian wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

This is a quite common name for Leycesteria formosa and is still
used by many elderly~ and myself when I can't remember!!

"Chinese nutmeg" to me. I've never grown it: do the fruits at all
resemble nutmegs in smell or use?

--
Mike.