Old 17-08-2006, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Frogs in garden

On 17/8/06 23:05, in article ,
"Space" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/8/06 22:28, in article
, "Space"
wrote:

snip
oh, I don't mind having a frog in the garden - I would hate for the cat

hurt it though. also, daft as I am I worry that the poor little frog
doesn't have a large supply of water in my garden.

Could you make a shallow pond for the toads and frogs? They really do

need
help!

not really, my cat is amazed by them. before now he has brought them into
the house. he carries them in ever so carefully (or so it seems) and
watches them hop around.

however careful he is it must place a hell of alot of stress on the poor
buggers, obviously. hence the question about taking the frog back to his
pond. we had some heavy rain today, we always get frogs after heavy rain.

I love my cats (boo hiss I hear from quarters of the gardening group) but I
don't want them to harm other animals.

No boo hiss from here though our Jack Russells might have a different pov.
However, if frogs are coming into your garden, I think it's because they
expect to find somewhere in which to breed. Perhaps a pond has been filled
in, in the past? Frogs and toads return to their old spawning grounds which
is why they're in need of help from us who can make ponds for them.
Without wishing to be too intrusive, why would it be so hard to put in a
small wildlife pond with a few plants for frogs and toads to which they will
attach their spawn? My daughter has a small garden but has put in a
pre-formed fishpond and a pre-formed wildlife pond, both of 1000 gallons and
both with plants in them. Already, she has found one desperate-for-water
toad making his way to one of them. The wildlife pond has a shallowly
formed ramp to enable the amphibians to get out and both have gentle pumps
aerating the water. Sorry to harp on about this but it's not too hard to
make a pond and give the beasties a refuge from the cat!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk