Old 17-08-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_1_] Bob Hobden[_1_] is offline

Default Tree ID please

"Sacha" wrote ...
after "Bob Hobden" asked

Yesterday I took a walk round the woodland garden at the Hollycombe Steam
Museum and came across a small tree growing in the partial shade of
others,
it had rounded leaves about 10p size, and had lots of 4 inch or so pink
fruit hanging off the branches.
The fruit reminded me of a tropical fruit I've seen abroad but don't know
it's name. A bit like a prickly Pear with spines but thinner and more
pointed at the ends and indented between the spines.
I've never seen it before unless it's this hot dry summer allowing it to
fruit here.

Spent some time searching the net without success, anyone any ideas? Like
an
idiot I had my camera with me but didn't get a shot. :-(

Arbutus? But the leaves don't sound right.

Leaves are wrong and so is the fruit, at least I only know the Strawberry
Tree fruit and they were nothing like the fruit on this tree. More like a
Prickly Pear, spaced out spines, sunken between the spines, pointed at both
ends, pink, a fingers length. Certainly unusual.
I've mailed the Museum and asked what it is, I'll let you know if they tell
me, if not a return visit with camera will be called for.

--
Regards
Bob H