Old 18-08-2006, 08:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default How many here grow food gardens inside green house year round?

"The Cook" wrote in message
Can you grow food in the WINTER months in your green
house?

Maybe if you are willing to pay for the heat to keep things from
freezing, especially at night. And I am not sure what I would want
to grow in the winter. Forget most of the summer vegetables because
it is not just the temperature, it is also the amount and kind of
light.

Are you making assumptions about where the OP lives or do you know?

I plan to try to keep a few tomato plants and basil going this
winter. Then about February the greenhouse will be full of seedlings
since I start almost all of my plants from seed.

If yes..... how do you grow stuff in the summer? Cant
you open the green house up entirely to keep heat from
building up?

I have the door and vents open all of the time in the summer. I have
enough room outside to grow all the summer fruits and vegetables that
I want (that grow in my climate).

Perhaps your experience would help the rest of us more if you said what your
climate is.

David