Old 18-08-2006, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Frogs in garden

On 17/8/06 23:42, in article , "Peter
Stockdale" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

No boo hiss from here though our Jack Russells might have a different pov.
However, if frogs are coming into your garden, I think it's because they
expect to find somewhere in which to breed. Perhaps a pond has been filled
in, in the past? Frogs and toads return to their old spawning grounds
which
is why they're in need of help from us who can make ponds for them.

snip
We are surprisingly frogless round here inspite of having large pond,
stream and canal adjacent.
No cats either.
I suspect that my 100+ goldfish in the pond and the 1000+ course fish in
the canal leave no space for mr froggies lifecycle.

All the more need for wildlife ponds sans fish, which is what we've done
here. We have two large ponds with fish in them and there is no doubt that
the fish eat the tads. It was the only pond up until a few years ago when
we made a duck pond (ducks flew off!) and then a large pond in front of the
house. We've now turned the duck pond into a wildlife pond and have
deliberately not put fish in it. We get loads of toads and frogs here, so
last spring I put some spawn into it and we're hoping that will have happy
results and if we can direct toads and frogs to it, we'll try that, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk