Old 18-08-2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default when to harvest corn?

" wrote in
ups.com:

Hello,

How do you know when to harvest corn? The stuff I've read talks about
moisture content. What exactly is that? How do I measure it without
buying a scientific device? Or is there another way? I've got a
backyard garden, with about 15 corn plants. I'm not going to buy
expensive farm equipment for a garden this size.

I always thought it was when the silk withered but, hey, don't go by me. I
check moisture content by pressing my thumbnail into a kernel and seeing if
the juice squirts into my eye.