Old 18-08-2006, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gonzo gonzo is offline

Default How many here grow food gardens inside green house year round?

Wow. If you are not familiar with winter gardening, do indeed check
out extending the harvest. Then do a little reading up on the works of
Eliot Coleman:

Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year
Long

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189...712600?ie=UTF8

Brief summary: covers shift your garden 1 zone south for each layer
(unheated hoophouse, floating row cover)

I'm in zone 5 and when outdoor temps are 0-10, it can be as high as 40
in the hoophouse. When the sun really comes out, it can get as high as
50 (temps always lower at night though). I have 3 months in the dead
of winter when life is tough for the plants, and 3-4 weeks either end
of the season when plants are just fine under cover.

Bottom line: hoophouses are great for beginners, not a huge investment
in time, material or infrastructure. If you really want to get into
winter gardening but want to start small, I suggest a couple cold
frames to get you going.