Old 19-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Tony Wood

Default Advice : Service your own mower?

In message , Jolltax
writes
Hiya,

My mower (it is a Mountfield with a Honda GCV135 motor) needs a service
before I start thrashing it across the lawn again this summer. It runs
great but I haven't touched it for over 2 years (embarassing!).

I am not particularly mechanically minded but there doesn't seem much to it
so I thought I would have a bash at it myself:

Change oil
Clean air filter
Change / clean plug
Clean and lube the moving bits
Not sure how I sharpen the blade - maybe use a large file or just buy a new
one?
Errr, cant think of anything else........

Has anyone got any tips or am I way off the mark here? Any good links?

As a further question, given that I'm in a similar boat (wanting to
service it myself, not run it since last year), what would be the best
thing to do - service before running it again, or run it a bit to
loosen/warm all the old oil etc then service it?

Tony.