Old 19-08-2006, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles[_1_] Charles[_1_] is offline

Default I have some holes in my garden soil.

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:42:29 -0400, " Netter"
wrote:

I have some holes in my garden soil.
They are about 1/2 inch in diameter.
By the amount of the soil piles along side I'd guess they are not very deep.
I saw an insect by one.
It had orange legs and an some orange and some black near the end of it's
body.
Maybe it looked like a big wasp.

It was filling one of the holes.
I watched as it moved dirt and even pebbles almost 1/4 inch long into the
hole until it was filled.

There are other holes nearby.

What is the insect?

How do I get rid of it and if it buried eggs - the eggs.

Thanks for any help

Probably a wasp of some kind. Dig up the eggs if you want, but why?
why not leave them alone. They aren't hurting anything, except for
some pest insects they harvest for food for their young. Wasps
harvest grubs from my lawn and don't bother me, except when I step on
them with bare feet.