Old 18-08-2006, 11:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default Any electricians out there have opinions on how Article 682 will affect building ponds

wrote:
Hi:
I just got a copy of the 2005 National Electric Code, and found
the new Article 682.
Are there any electricians in this pond group? If so, do you
have any opinions on how these new code rules will affect building our
ponds?
An electrician friend told me that it will rule out all
centrifigal pumps, and will radically change the way the electrics are
set up near the pond. (And none of it for the good.)

(All electric components, except submirsible pumps, will have to
be above the electrical datum line, which is 2 feet above the water.
No more buried cable, etc.)

From what I could find in a network search, Article 682 does not disallow
buried cable, but does want connections and components not intended
to be submersible to be above the datum line. Of course, they won't
put the actual text out on the net so you have to buy the books to
get the exact wording.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.