Old 19-08-2006, 05:54 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Peter B[_1_] Peter B[_1_] is offline

Default Help with identifcation

Hi Monique

Thanks for that. Yes - the Tatras are great.

I have looked up P. purpurea and ascertained that it is found in Poland.
Comparing various images on Google to mine, I am pretty sure that you are
right.

I have tried Eryngium and can find nothing quite like my plant. With me in
Italy was a fantastic botanist (he could sort out all the 49 species of
Orchid we found there and the rest, no problem) and this was the only one to
stump him. He felt it was possibly an Asteracea. I will suggest he looks
in the Umbellifers.

I have searched all amongst Dianthus, which that one surely is, the
nearest I can get in petal shape is D. segueri, but not the markings. The
trouble with searching the internet is that there are so many horticultural
varieties!

I would particularly like a lead on the "Saxifrage".

Thanks again

Peter

"monique" wrote in message
Oh! To be back in the Tatras again!!!

The first two images--it's not a Solanum. This is an odd composite,
Prenanthes purpurea (or something else very close.) What look like petals
are individual florets. Compare the photo at:
http://erick.dronnet.free.fr/belles_...s_purpurea.htm

The third one in this set, the dangly yellow, is indeed. Impatiens. In
the US we call it jewelweed. The fourth is something in the
Caryophyllaceae--your guess of a Dianthus is probably close.

The one from Italy is really interesting. Looks to me like an
umbellifer--try poking about in Eryngium.

Monique in TX

Peter B wrote:

Thank you for your responses. This is odd, because the posts appear on
my computer! I will try again here. There are 2 sets, both on 'flickr':

This set from the Tatra mountains in Poland in July:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3685655...7594232798196/

This plant from the Pulsano Gorge in the Gargano, Italy, this April.

Any help will be appreciated - thanks

Peter

"Peter B" wrote in message

PLEASE - could people have another look at my posts of 11/08/2006.
Surely someone out there can help!

Thanks

Peter