Old 20-08-2006, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default suggestions for plantings in NYC

On 19 Aug 2006 13:33:41 -0700, "markww" wrote:

Hi,

I just got an apartment in the heart of new york city with a yard that
is about 20ft x 20ft in size. The backyard has been completely
neglected and is overrun by weeds. I am wondering if anyone has any
tips for plants I can start planting there beginning September 1st (my
move in date) after I mow that jungle down.

I'd like to get some types that will survive a few months before the
frost hits, and if they automatically re-bloom in the spring that would
be terrific (I don't know what the garderning term is for that,
perennials?). Thanks for any ideas,

Mark

You have a unique opportunity to give sanctuary to misplaced birds and
other critters. How lucky that you have a garden in the city. I
suggest you read "Noah's Garden" by Sara Stein to get some good ideas.
Native plants are always best, so do a search on plants native to
southern NY.