Old 19-08-2006, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default Angreacum calceolus and Den. forbesii

bobc wrote:
Hello everybody!
I hope this note finds each of you in good health and spirits!

These two plants are giving me much trouble. I just can't seem to find
a good spot for them.
When I keep them in bright light the leaves burn at the edges as though
it's too dry, and in shade the dendrobium gets floppy.

OOH, so many questions. Are they inside the house, in a greenhouse, or
outside? What type of pot, clay or plastic? It's difficult to adjust
light this time of year. Would it be possible to keep them in the
brighter location and add a curtain to the window? Possibly a fan to
limit the heat build up? You may want to check the orientation to the
sun. If the angle of light changes suddenly, then more of the edges
and backs of leaves are exposed. I mark my pots and when I move them
from one location to another reset the plants with the same orientation
to the sun.

They are both potted in bark and I'm watering them like a cattleya. I am cosidering
mounting the Angraecum (it was suggested before) since I have a Soph.
cernus and a Den biggibum, which are mounted and doing well. But I'm
still not sure how much light to give them.

It's tricky taking nursery grown plants and changing their environment.
Everything is mass marketed for optimum performance and the plants are
never stressed. Changing light intensities or reducing humidity is
especially rough on the matured leaves because they have developed
within the parameters in which they were grown. New growth will
naturally be more acclimated to your conditions, but the new growth may
not take the direction you want. I had a catt in a little too much
shade. The pseudobulbs and leaves grew out flat instead of upright to
absorb the light it needed. It looked good with darker leaves and
bloomed like mad, but in a hanging 4" clay pot it was 3' in diameter.
I divided it 2 years ago. It sulked and spluttered, but now with more
light and two years growth it's upright again.

Anyway ... hope you all are having a great day! My life is just
wonderful and it's a blessing to be alive!
Bob

Love the sentiment.