Old 20-08-2006, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc bobc is offline

Default Angreacum calceolus and Den. forbesii

Thanks Nancy and Jack.
Nancy, the plants are in clay pots on my windowsill with about 40
other plants (mostly orchids, but some Tillandsia, a couple African
violets and a couple jungle cacti).
The relative humidity isn't that great, but it's averages around 40%.
It fluctuates during spring, summer and fall with the weather outside
because the windows are open 24/7 during those seasons.

Jack, I'm gonna try mine on cork bark with a bit of Sphagnum like the
Soph. and Den.
I only get 65 -70% RH immediately after watering or if the humidity is
that high naturally.
But first I may try watering the Ang. more often - it's in very chunky
bark.
I can't have high relative humidity around the orchids since they're in
our living room window and there's no way I'm gonna get to hang plastic
around the plant area - that just won't fly. I don't think it's
healthy to have that much water vapor in the house?

I didn't mention Tolumnia in my post. I really like the plants,
however, it gets too cool for them in the window and there isn't enough
light away from the window. So I won't try them anymore. I may be in
a similar situation with the Ang. and Den. - I may just be unable to
provide conditions close enough to what they need to thrive.

Jack wrote:
Bob, I grow my angreacum calc. in both S/H and mounted on a stick, I
just moved 5 plants to the mounts, so far no problem, I recieved them
as compotted seedlings, they had overgrown the pot so I seperated them
out in to small S/H pots, 2-3 per a 3" pot. They were put in to
65-75F, moderate light (bright shade to 1-3 hr dapled sun) and 65-70%
humidity. All my calc. thrived, now I'm going to see how half of them
do on the sticks.

Jack